Skip to main content

Day 2

Day 2 (30th December)

With just 2 days left in the year, it is a good time for some introspection.

Taught 2 full fledged courses this year, in 2 different colleges for one semester each. Not my first teaching experience, but doing a full course with responsibilities of assessment was new. Some lectures were 2 hours long and holding the attention of students was a challenge. I didn't use PowerPoint much, relying on chalk and board more often. About 70 hours of lectures in the year. My rough estimate is 8 hours of preparation for every hour of lecture. I had to learn what I taught. This was both enjoyable and stressful. I taught by telling stories and using analogies. I didn't rely as much on standard text books as on the Internet and my own experience. There were some troubling moments when I felt like throwing in the towel. I always put ethics before knowledge and minced no words about it. For 2019, I have already backed out from one of the courses and remain undecided about the other. One of the courses have given me a book idea, which I intend to pursue in 2019. 

I also mentored half a dozen students this year. 4 of them were PhD students doing a diploma in technology management. Guiding them on mock entrepreneurship projects was a very satisfying experience, as results of my inputs and intervention were very evident. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4

Day 4 (28th December) Informal meeting over lunch to plan for an event in February. The restaurant is part of a little known local club and we ate a typical Gujarati Thali. Let me take this opportunity to make a list of restaurants where I ate in 2018. 1) Hakkasan 2) Burma Burma 3) British Brewing Company 4) Chulha Chauki ka Dhaba 5) MTR 6) Kamat Lokaruchi 7) Cafe Mondegar 8) Cafe Royal 9) Pancham Puriwala 10) Basil n' Spice 11) Ph se Food 12) The Daily Bean 13) Pot Pourri 14) The Hut If you would like to know more about any of the above, leave a comment here and I will get back to you.

Day 85

Day 85 (8 th October) An eventful day. During the course of the hectic day, a piece of good tidings sneaked in ever so gently that I almost failed to notice. Only late in the day, its import began to sink in.   My proposal to write on Artificial Intelligence in the Chemical Industry has been accepted. I will be writing a monthly feature on this for a leading industry magazine. A lot of interesting research lies ahead of me.

Day 1

Day 1 (31st December) Finally it is the last day of 2018. It is time for the last post and put this blog to sleep, but not before recapping my best moments My monthly columns on a variety of cutting edge topics from Artificial Photosynthesis to Virtual Reality. They can be accessed HERE . My two bylines in The Hindu Sunday Magazine: Tharangambadi Restoration  Deepanjali Lamp Museum They say a picture is equal to thousand words. I posted a picture every single day of the year on Instagram. Here are the Top Nine That wraps up 2018 and this blog. Thanks for reading.