Skip to main content

Day 76


Day 76 (17th October)

The deadline for my column is just 3 days away and I sat down earnestly to write. I have picked Hydrogen Fuel Cells for this month’s column. Rather apt when the Brent is firmly set on a northward journey. The exorbitant cost of Fuel Cells is because of Platinum, a catalyst used to speed up the reactions to meet the power demand. Teams at various universities are working on developing inexpensive alternatives. There has been some limited success, but still a long way to go. Toyota, world’s leading automaker, is betting big on Fuel Cells as opposed to batteries. I managed to complete 75% of my target, despite unexpected but important disruptions. More than pleased.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 68

Day 68 (25 th October) Mumbai Film Festival (aka MAMI) starts tomorrow and I am excited. We can pre-book tickets for maximum 4 films per day. The pre-booking scheduled to open at 0800 kept getting delayed because of some technical glitch. Finally, I could log in at ~1030 and choose my 4 films – one each from Iran, China, France and Japan. The 3 Asian films have a Rotten Tomatoes score in high 90s. The Japanese film won the Palme d’or at Cannes this year. The French film is by the legendary Jean Luc Godard. I am specially excited by this as it won a special Palme d’or for what the jury described as “a film outside of time and space”. Cinema is not just entertainment for me; I regard it as a serious art form. I have prepared my mind for tomorrow’s films by reading semantic review like this one . I also collected my delegate kit. The catalogue weighs more than a kilo. All set for bingeing on world cinema.

Day 73

Day 73 (20 th October) What I wanted to write yesterday: Revived my lapsed insurance policy today. I had to pay a fine, but more irritating was that I had to make 3 trips to the branch, some 30 kms away from my home. I am angry with the insurance company for not reminding me to pay the premium. But I am even more angry with myself for managing to forget this annual milestone. Easy to blame others, but I should take responsibility for the consequences of my failure. Third Friday of the month and I had to attend the committee meeting. One of the members distributed rum-filled chocolates at the start; his belated birthday celebration. The dynamics of voluntary work is fascinating. Some get passionate, others are impassive. We discussed many matters - some grave, some trivial. We will be 30 next year and I proposed that we should celebrate by raising 30 Crores. I have sowed the seeds. And now for today: Applied a trick that I learned only yesterday. Ticket for an interm...

Day 78

Day 78 (15th October) I had a lot on my plate today but returned home to a non-responsive computer. The frustration mounted as I kept attempting to revive it. Technical Support numbers were non-existent. And I had almost reconciled to replacing a crashed harddisk. But just few minutes before the computer has risen like a Phoenix. It is time to take the warnings seriously and do some proactive maintenance.